Frequently Asked Questions on Grievance Redress Mechanism in Government of India and the Role of Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievance, New Delhi, therein

Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances, 5th floor, Sardar Patel Bhavan, Sansad Marg, New Delhi – 110001
Website:: www.darpg.gov.in Tele fax : 23741006

The grievances can be sent to :

The above nodal agencies receive grievances online through pgportal.gov.in as well as by post or by hand in person, from the public.

The grievances can be lodged online on . In cases where internet facility is not available or even otherwise, the citizen is free to send her/his grievance by Post. There is no prescribed format.

The grievance may be written on any plain sheet of paper or on a Postcard / Inland letter and addressed to the Department. The grievance can also be filled through Common Service Centre.

The grievance is acknowledged online or by post. A unique registration number is given to each grievance.

It may be tracked on the pgportal using view status link and after providing unique registration number.

Every Central Ministry / Department has designated a Joint Secretary or a Director / Deputy Secretary, as its ‘Director of Grievances’. He / She is the nodal officer for redress of grievances on work areas allocated to that particular Ministry / Department.

No. In such situations, the citizen will have to lodge a fresh grievance drawing reference to the closed grievance, and call for details. Sometimes, the details are sent by post and mentioned in the final report. The postal delivery may be awaited before lodging a fresh grievance

The list is accessible on the Department’s website at In addition to this, it is also available in the Citizen’s Charter of the Ministries/Departments hosted on their websites.

Every Wednesday of the week has been earmarked for receiving and hearing of grievances by the Director of Public Grievances in person.

  • Subjudice cases or any matter concerning judgment given by any court.
  • Personal and family disputes
  • RTI matters
  • Anything that impacts upon territorial integrity of the country or friendly relations with other countries

The Department of Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances is the chief policy making, monitoring and coordinating Department for public grievances arising from the work of Ministries/Departments/Organizations of the Government of India. The grievances received in the department are forwarded to the Ministries/Departments concerned. Redressal of grievances is done by respective Ministries/Departments in a decentralized manner. The Department periodically reviews the status of redressal of public grievances under CPGRAMS of Ministries/Departments for speedy disposal of grievances / complaints.

All grievances relating to State Governments / Union Territory Administrations and Government of NCT Region of Delhi, are sent to the State/ UT/ NCT Government concerned. Citizens may take up matter regarding pendency of their grievances directly with the State Government concerned also.

Thirty (30) days. In case of delay an interim reply with reasons for delay is required to be given.

You may take up the matter with the Director of Public Grievances of the Ministry/Department concerned whose details are available on the pgportal.

An Appeal provision has been made for redressal of dis-satisfied grievances in respect of Central Ministry/Department identified through a mandatory feedback ratting to be given by the Citizen on disposal of the grievance by the Nodal Grievance Officers. The appeal needs to be filed by the applicant within 30 days.

1. The request for deactivation of a user account can be made through email to the CPGRAMS helpdesk (cpgrams-darpg@nic.in). The email should be sent from the registered email id only.

2. In case of deactivation, the user can not create an account with the same email-id/mobile but the user can make a request again to activate the same account.

The concerned organisation (Ministries/Department/State Govt) can change the details with their log in credentials.

Yes. Department has established Feedback call centre to get the feedback from the citizen on disposed grievance in case the feedback is not received through the portal. The call centre also assists in filling the appeal.